Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday Food

Tteokbokki tteok 볶이떡

Tteok is a common snack food here in Korea. Essentially, it is a steamed rice cake made with sticky rice flour. Most often it is served as street food in a spicy chili sauce. These plain tteokbokki are my new favorite snack. We purchase about twenty of these cylinder-shaped cakes for about $2 and then pop them in the trusty toaster oven to make a delicious treat. Well, I guess not so much delicious seeing as they don’t have much of a taste but they are very enjoyable to eat – they are warm with a slightly crunchy outside and a gooey inside. Mmm, I want some now :)

2 comments:

Truth said...

Hey, I'll bet those are gluten free! But now I want to try them.

Angela said...

I just tried these yesterday! Except the ones I tried had peanut butter or some sort of peanut paste in the middle and they were delicious. Check 'em out.