Monday, July 20, 2009

Life Changes

Chris and I have made quite a few lifestyle changes since moving to Seoul. Some of these changes have been more drastic than others, but all the same, life is extremely different. You could effectively say that we were thrust into an unknown world with a 180-degree difference than that normal for us. We’ve altered practically everything from our diets to our mode of transportation and anything else in between.

The biggest adjustment by far has been not living with Daphne, our nearly three-year-old boxer. From the time she was five weeks old she has lived with either Christopher or myself and we were so blessed to all three live together for the first five months of our marriage. Many of you know that we have a slight obsession with her. It’s been so hard to come home to an empty apartment with no dog slyly slinking off of the couch to greet us. Walks aren’t half as exciting now that we don’t have our lead explorer and third pack member. It’s not the same when we have lazy Saturday mornings without her snuggled in between us. And our morning alarm clock definitely does not encourage us to get up and face the day with wet kisses and a wagging tail. Although it was extremely difficult to leave her, it was our decision to move here and we knew right from the beginning it would be cruel and wrong to try to bring her. Daphne is very happily living with Ma and Pa Gilmore and her bestie, Lily the lab, in fresh air Colorado and we get to Skype and either see her or hear her often.

I hope to write about some of the other life changes we’ve been experiencing and pursuing over the next couple weeks or so….let’s call it a mini-series ☺


The day we got her.


She was so tiny!


She's such a pretty girl.


Sister Dazy, Lily, and Daphne


Ready for snowshoeing!


The morning we left...crying and crying :(

6 comments:

bigJCfan said...

Chris talking to Daphne: "I'm number one, you're number two, and Lauren's three." hahaha! Chris, you're a jerk! :) Missing your dog is the worst worst worst, I'm so sorry guys... but the reunion/level of excitement/100,000 kisses on the mouth will be worth it!!

Truth said...

It's hard to believe Daphne was ever that little. I took Dazy for a walk on Saturday and she about ripped my arm out of the socket when she got scared. At least that was the excuse I gave her for dashing off the way she did.

I'll bet you miss her so much.

Anonymous said...

I,too, started to cry when I read this :( I know in the deepest part of my heart that your Daphne girl misses you both so much. She is making the best of it. Dad did say on Saturday that he didn't know what WE (not to mention Lily) were going to do without her when you guys get home... I guess you will just have to live somewhere close so the "girls" can still play together. Yesterday she got a 45 min. DEvelyn run, a bath, backyard water play, hours of Lily play, lots of treats and clean blankets. She is as strong as ever and very shapely. I know how much you miss her.
Mom G

Christina said...

So you guys don't go on squirrel hunts in Korea? DZ has an ear infection and is losing hair. Vet says she thinks the hair loss may be a thyroid problem especially since apparently she is overweight.
PS Baker says hi

Kelly said...

awe I bet she misses you guys just as much but she is without a doubt living a great dog life with the rest of her family :)

On another note, I am so happy to see you both embracing all these new lifestyle changes with such patience and optimism. Love you both!

Anonymous said...

I remember when that manic lived with me for a week in Flagstaff. That dog raised all sorts of hell from walks to digging to barking at trees. Haha the best was when she would pick from dozens of pine cones her favorite one. I swear she would carry it until it was completely chewed and nasty. Even I miss that dog from time to time, and I only had her for a week.