Monday, March 8, 2010

Buldak 불닭

Fire Chicken!
Bul = Fire
Dak = Chicken


This is a delicious, quick, spicy meal. We actually haven't yet had this meal out in Seoul (well, that's to our knowledge - we've eaten many spicy chicken dishes without knowing exactly what they were, so who knows really). It seemed as if it would be an easy enough Korean dish to experiment with and I knew we would like it since our tolerance for spice has immensely expanded since moving here. I followed this simple recipe with a few alterations. We had no Sake or Cheong ju (Korean rice wine) for the marinade so I used our favorite - Soju! (That was a highly sarcastic statement, although we did have some with dinner.) Not sure how much of a difference it made; the chicken was amazing! I also didn't have any kochujan (red chili pepper paste) or red chillies for the fire sauce so I settled for jalapenos and kochukaru (red pepper flakes). We included some of my favorite banchan (traditional Korean side dishes), pickled radish (danmuji), to kill some of the spice but it ended up being not spicy enough for us - Christopher even added some Tabasco. Overall, it was really good and we will be making it again. If you want to try it and like spice - use the red chillies!

2 comments:

Truth said...

This looks awesome! I'm going to have to try it. Pickled radish? Not sure if I can find that. Whatever will you eat when you get home?

Kathleen said...

Lauren, You are be coming an amazing cook!