Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday Food

Yeongeun 연근

Lotus root is our latest and greatest find here in Korea. I now know that it's commonly used in Asian dishes but I can honestly say that I had never had it until coming to Korea. I noticed and tried the beautiful and delicious root vegetable in banchan when we first arrived and ever since, have been so intrigued by it's curious shape and taste. Well, we finally purchased one kilogram to experiment with on our last visit to Garak and - we love it!



Lotus root chips were our first snack. After slicing and soaking the root in vinegar water we lightly coated them with olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes and baked them to make a delightfully crunchy chip.


Next, we threw them in a stir fry - a modified version of one of Momma Haws' stir fry recipes. They provided the perfect crunch and sweetness needed in place of water chestnuts; we even liked them a little more.


They're so fun to look at and eat. If you haven't used them before, I recommend heading out to your nearest Asian grocery and trying them for yourself. If you have used them, any other suggestions?

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

It looks interesting and delicious. I will have to look for it. I hope it doesn't turn out like celery root in Germany. We loved the taste and when we found it hear, it wasn't as flavorful or fresh. I guess when things are imported, they are just a bit different. Thanks for sharing.

Christina said...

loving the food posts! :) Do you guys have an oven?