Sunday, February 21, 2010

똥침 Dong-chim


**This post is rated MA - Mature Audience only for a bit of graphic content and severely bizarre behavior. If you are easily offended do yourself a favor and skip the following**

Something perplexing has recently come to light for me. When working with the kindergarten kids from early on I've had to constantly spin 180's quick and swipe a hand behind me quick as a blink. My actions were in response to the befuddling behavior of the kids who would poke me in the bum using their index fingers and shouting a Korean phrase.

At first I thought something was disturbingly wrong with the first child who did this. Then after a few more did it, I just passed it off as extremely unusual behavior for a select group of children. The behavior continued sporadically, as did my lightening quick reactions.

Somehow the topic came up in conversation (fortunately) with our friend Emma, who is a Seoul native. She laughed and laughed at us and then explained...
When we get poked, the phrase we've been hearing is "똥침", or "Dong-chim".
똥, or dong (long O), means poo, crap, fecal matter, etc.
침, or Chim (cheem), means needle.
So, poo-needle.

Anyway, Korean children (and apparently some people beyond that age... : / ) clasp their hands together with interlocked fingers then "poke" with their extended index fingers at the victim and yell "Dong-chim!".

It doesn't make sense, and I'm not sure I want to figure it out. Most recently I was teaching a weekend class at the educational museum and one little boy (English name Charlie) was the first person to engage the activity since I've learned exactly what it is. I brushed it off and at least understood.

And then he dongchim'd me about 153 times over the next two hours. Even more astonishing was his mom sitting idly by. Want to talk about the ultimate exercise in patience? Hey lady, I'm about to push your kid to the ground right in front of you!

All that being said, I'm sure there are some cultures that would find a "wedgie" as the most offensive possible thing. So with all due respect, please go on Dongchiming each other, but leave me be.

If you would like references (why would you honestly?) here you go.

5 comments:

bigJCfan said...

this is the most bizarre thing ive ever seen.. no wait, the statues immortalizing the act are even more disturbing. hahahaha! has this been happening the whole time or is this a new behavior?

Truth said...

Truly bizarre.

Unknown said...

ya, wow, REALLY? With the statues?

Anonymous said...

I guess you could say that Gram and I were dismayed or astonished.

Truth said...

Where is Thankful Thursday???