Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cookies sans Oven

I wanted to make Chris a homemade tasty treat for his birthday but as you know, we have no oven. How could we celebrate a birthday without any baked goods?! I looked around for a non-bake cake recipe but everything I found called for ridiculous ingredients that we could not possibly find here. I decided to attempt some non-bake peanut butter cookies. Despite the lack of all the necessary items, they turned out quite scrumptious and we've found ourselves craving them several times since the birthday batch.

The recipe called for....
1/2 cup white sugar (check)
1/2 cup white corn syrup (kind of check, I wasn't sure if the label meant white but it was clear)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (impossible to find so I didn't use it)
1 cup peanut butter (check)
2 1/4 cup crisp rice cereal (again, I couldn't find this so I used a Korean version of Frosted Flakes)

Because we have no measuring cup it was impossible to get the exact amounts needed. Well, that's not entirely true; we have a plastic container that has milliliters marked by the hundreds. After guesstimating everything, the finished product was absolutely delicious. We enjoyed them warm but they were even more delicious after being in the fridge for a few hours.

We actually purchased a mint condition toaster oven off of Craigslist this weekend so our baking/cooking options have just multiplied by a million. We're very excited :)

If you want to try these tasty treats prepared my way....
- Cook the sugar and corn syrup on medium heat until it looks done (maybe one minute or so).
- Add and stir in a spoonful of honey.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and cereal.
- Drop by the spoonful (or whatever looks like a good size) onto wax paper.
- Heat a chopped chocolate bar and drizzle over cookies.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lauren,
These look like the Christmas Special K cereal bars that Aunt Carolyn makes from Sept. through Aug., with peak production between Oct. and Feb. I'd be glad to send you that recipe as its a no bake great dessert and lo calorie because its Special K cereal.

Truth said...

That is so sweet! How is the toaster oven??? Have you made anything yet? I'll bet toast tastes delicious.

Elisabeth said...

What a good wife! Ps I'm sad I missed you guys this weekend :(

jeri manos said...

Now that's a great wife,,,, without the proper ingredients, utensils or oven, she can make magic with her love!! How sweet.... that is true love,,.... you guys are great!!